Friday, September 28, 2007

Gettin Reel Jiggy

So the kids found out Wednesday from their dance teacher that they will get to compete in their first feis (it's an Irish Gaelic word and its pronounced "Fesh". A festival of Irish dance, music and culture). All three will get to do a reel, light jig and single jig. Kendra is very excited because she will have the school's beginner dress made for her. The boys will wear the typical black trousers, dress shirt and tie. We all will get a weekend away in Rancho Mirage. Woo Hoo!
Now we have to practise, practise, practise.

I went on field trips both Thursday and today. We use parent drivers because buses are too expensive. I was shocked to hear the language coming out of these 7 and 8 year old's mouths. I was shocked and saddened to see what some of these kids were given for lunch. On the way back to school I listened to two of the boys in my car talk about video games. Pretty normal. Kyle is obsessed with his "E for everyone" games that he's only allowed to play on weekends and holidays. But then I started listening a little more closely to the talk about a game both boys played most often. I was shocked when this 7 year old said, "there was this granny and I went up behind her and shot her in the back of the head". What!!!! I'm supposed to be shocked, right? Am I just an old fart or is there something wrong with parents today? They (the boys) were also fans of YouTube. My kids don't even know what YouTube is let alone how to find it on the computer. I like YouTube. There are some great videos on it but I wouldn't let my kids go on unsupervised. I guess I'm just a boring old lady.

No comments: